Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

SERVPRO of Katy/Cypress is the leading expert in fire and fire related damage restoration. We work with local fire departments in order to spread knowledge and awareness. We wanted to give the wonderful people in our community some tips to help prevent house fires. Test your smoke alarms. Properly maintain your smoke alarms by testing the batteries once a month. Being prepared for an emergency can significantly increase your chances of survival. Keep a fire extinguishers within reach of the family, and go over how to use it with children over a certain age. At the very least, keep one in the kitchen and others near high-risk areas like a fireplace. Use the fireplace responsibly. Keep sparks and embers from escaping into other areas of the house. Don’t ever leave a fire unattended. If you have any question or concerns regarding these tips do not hesitate to contact your local fire department and or your local SERVPRO of Katy/Cypress. 

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (281) 469-2957

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.

Visit our updated page