One of the most common causes of house fires is something you would never think as a possible danger. Thirty-two percent of all home fires and deaths related to those are caused by space heaters, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
With the long term cold that set over the Houston area, some Houston residents are using space heaters to try and keep their homes and garages warm during those cold nights. Having a space heater on while you sleep can put you and your family at extreme risk for a home fire. When a space heater is left unattended and is too close to flammable items, a massive fires can occur. Which can cause injury or even death to the occupants of the home.
Be safe and reduce your risk when using a space heater, as they can be a great addition to the home during those annoyingly cold months. Following safety precautions can reduces the risk of fire. Making sure your heater is on a flat surface, and is being used in proper area of the home and garage, can also reduce your risk of starting a house fire.
So we here at SERVPRO of Katy/Cypress ask the wonderful members of our community to be responsible and think about all the risks that go along with having a home and living in the community. We are not only responsible for ourselves but also our neighbors and fellow community members.